Friday, October 21, 2005

Ann Harper

Visit her website here


Yesterday, I stumbled across her paintings, while searching ofr whatnots…

I remember that this picture caught my eye....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I browsed her gallery a bit (on hers, must I say, the other painter’s works doesn’t appeal me as much), and I got fascinated by the darkness oozing from her paintings. Especially the eyes of the characters, all sad or angry…. All having that same, look-alike, threatening gaze.

The surrounding are no better, dare I say, it felt like entering Stephen King’s worst childhood nightmare…and I kinda like it… I like the way she paints clowns, too… For those who do not know, I do not like clowns. The have never made me smile nor laugh, and I tend to find them pathetic and pitiful. Clowns have that grotesque attitude, able to provoke young children’s mirth…. But as I grew older, I couldn’t find them but sad and tormented.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

even more funnier is that I seldom appreciate paintings. I mean, I do not know, nor remember a thing about my art class. I only know that I subjectively react to this or that painting, no matter how famous the work may be…

this one, for example:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Reminds me so much of “The Addams Family’, no offence meant at all… But a family less cheerful, less prone to pranks.. Look at the hatred look of the characters… Never dare I hang that one on my house, really…. But still, I can’t help find it funny…. Notice the clowns, once again…Look at how the children seem sold, even older than the grown ups…

And last, but not least…

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My favourite so far…so rich in details that I haven’t had the time yet to analyse everything…..Clowns, again, and a feeling of broken childhood...

Nightmares, anyone? ^^

[to be continued]

No comments: