Monday, March 14, 2005

Murakami Haruki: "On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning"

Today, I feel like sharing one of my favourite short stories, by one of my fvourite Japanese author....



On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning


One beautiful April morning, on a narrow side street in Tokyo's
fashionable Harujuku neighborhood, I walked past the 100% perfect girl.


Tell you the truth, she's not that good-looking. She doesn't stand out in any way. Her clothes are nothing special. The back of her hair is still bent out of shape from sleep. She isn't young, either - must be near thirty, not even close to a "girl," properly speaking. But still, I know from fifty yards away: She's the 100% perfect girl for me. The moment I see her, there's a rumbling in my chest, and my mouth is as dry as a desert.


Maybe you have your own particular favorite type of girl - one with slim ankles, say, or big eyes, or graceful fingers, or you're drawn for no good reason to girls who take their time with every meal. I have my own preferences, of course. Sometimes in a restaurant I'll catch myself staring at the girl at the next table to mine because I like the shape of her nose.


But no one can insist that his 100% perfect girl correspond to some preconceived type. Much as I like noses, I can't recall the
shape of hers - or even if she had one. All I can remember for sure is that she was no great beauty.

It's weird.

Click here for the full story !!!

No comments: